we just returned from a beautiful mother's day weekend along the central coast in california. living in los angeles, there are such great family getaways just 2-3 hours in every direction. this time we decided to head north and because it was mother's day every thing was booked with the exception of....
the madonna inn! wow, i had heard from friends about this place but seeing really is believing. there was literally one room available both nights we went so we crossed our fingers and headed out. we couldn't believe our luck when we walked in to spring flowers. elodie was over the moon to be in such a colorful room! next time i would love to stay in this room (or maybe this one!)
that night we ate at the gold rush steak house - the food was as over the top as the environment - a bit heavy for my taste but we had a fantastic time dancing with all of the old timers and eating the famous pink champagne cake.
we were going to go to the hearst castle but since we were already up to our neck in opulence we did this instead...
- time at the madonna inn's new infinity pool drinking mock piña coladas
- renting bikes and riding the bob jones trail to the sea which takes you through wine country, across rivers and down to the cute little beach town of avila
- the big sky cafe in san luis obispo
- another long bike ride to a beach playground
- lunch in paso robles at thomas hill organics (highly recommend)
- combing through antique shops and one of the best fabric stores in california
- a stop by the l'aventure and caliza wineries (highly recommend l'aventure on many levels)
i definitely want to spend more time in this area soon. on the itinerary for next trip:
- dinner at artisan in paso robles
- santa maria bbq
- dinner at los alamos' famous full of life flatbread
- maybe a farm stay at rincondada dairy
- some beach time in cambria/st. simeon and a trip to the hearst castle
- and hopefully the road to big sur will be open so we can head to one of my favorite places on earth!
thanks to my husband and little girl for a beautiful mother's day weekend.